View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Rhys

I have done extensive research on Sockalexis over the last 5 years and I dont think there is a more interesting story in All of Sports than his. From his early days on the reservation to his exploits in college etc. Ed Barrow who used to spend some time around a couple of guys name Ruth and Gehrig said Sockalexis was the most talented Baseball player he had ever seen in his lifetime.

Here is what I know about photos and autographs of Lou. A small church in Bangor has some signatures from when Louis used to help out as a witness to some things in the 1880's. They will never be released. The Archives at Holy Cross University has one autographed cabinet card which also will never be made available to the public but is pictured in some of the Sockalexis Biographies. There is one other example of my photo known to exist in the same Archives at Holy Cross. There are only 2-3 other original photographs of Sockalexis which are owned by the Hall of Fame. Some of the other photos which appear from time to time in books were lost to history and only copies survive in the Hall. EVERYTHING owned by the Sockalexis family inlcuding his uniform he wore in the Orr postcard and scrapbooks were destroyed in a house fire on Indian Island before World War 2.

Basically, there is nothing out there. I would imagine that a few other photos exist from his Holy Cross days but have never surfaced and someday an autograph will surface and I will probably need to pay 5 figures for it.

[linked image]

Rhys