View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Default Reproduction Old Judge Cards?

Posted By: Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330032461355&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

It's funny how people WANT to believe these cards are real, be a heck of a bargain, heres why they aren't:

1. The frame and black backing are new.
2. Interesting how Sam Thompson, Radbourne and Ward, all HOFers are in a group of 8, far more probable you would have 1 HOF at most in a random group of 8.
3. The cards, even if real, are trimmed.
4. The cards seems to be lying perfectly flat on the board, not likely with these cards having a tendency to warp.

I know there are other resasons why these cards are fake, I'm sure there are nonbidder Old Judge collectors to add to the above list, so feel free to do so.

And things about the seller make this suspect:

1. Seller claim of a money back guarantee doesn't mean much, heres why:
a. A claim against Paypal will yield only $1000 if the seller runs off with the money and closes up his bank account so Paypal can't get money from the seller. A highly probable scenario given the seller FB and other products being sold.

2. The seller tries too hard to portray himself as a rube. Knows enough to list the cards in the right category, seems too smart to write a decent description with a load of misspelled words and the rube-ish manner in which he answered questions.

But even if the seller is honest, it's still a hassle to get back your money.

I suppose a reasonable possibility for bidding on those cards could be if you lived in southern Indiana to personally inspect the cards prior to paying, but unless you're farther away than Columbus or Vincennes, it seems like you would be wasting your time. (ok...Bedford has some interesting limestone carvings, suppose if you want to look at great tombstone art, you could be a tourist in Bedford while checking out those cards).

However, there are people on this board who bid on these likely fakes and would not be visiting Bedford. So here's a simple question for you people: are you greedy or gullible to bid on those cards?