View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 12:16 PM
J0hn Collin$

Beyond the everpresent lure of postwar Topps superstars, which first sank its teeth into me at about the tender age of 11 - right now I'm on an extremely slow project to accumulate Bowman Chicago Cubs, 1948 - 1955. While not anywhere near as ambitious of a project as most you will find especially on this board - there are 2 reasons for me doing this besides the fact that I'm a 30+ year Cubs fan:

1. The subtle beauty of the Bowman sets, especially those from 1950 - 52 with that fantastic artwork.

2. In terms of financing, I'm tired of spending money. This is a project that I can subtly add to over a period of years without breaking the bank. Initially as a Cubs collector the question of course is why not Topps, but ok - really? I can save up another few years for a Banks RC, or I can in that same period of time and for less money likely add hundreds of mid-to lower grade Bowman Cubs commons. I do already have the '55 Bowman Banks - which all told is probably my single favorite Banks card. The desire to not have to worry about money in this niche is what makes it possible for me to even get out of the starting gate. I've already done the expensive card thing for decades now with other postwar HOF'ers and superstars. If nothing else I just need a different perspective with the ability to still add cards that are important to me.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-26-2022 at 12:19 PM.