View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Tony

My father passed away unexpectedly in October at the age of 80. He was a type A personality, electrical engineer so very organized to say the least. All the financial records were extremely organized. Accounts, statements, passwords, etc all kept in a safe place just in case. He sat my brother and I down one weekend and went though everything line by line, just in case. The finances were simple to deal with and my mom is in very good shape.
What he didn’t account for is a large box of silver coins he’s been collecting for over 40 years. He never spoke about them in detail. We would talk vaguely about them and I never really asked the questions I should have when I had the chance. Don’t underestimate the significance of your collection to your loved ones. We can say toss it or the financial side of it doesn’t matter but it does. Your collection is a part of who you are and your loved ones will look at it as so. They may not say so now or even joke about it but once gone they will look for a connection. Make it as easy for them as possible. Through this I’m now tasked with learning about the coin hobby and coins back to the 1800s but also trying to figure out the significance each one may of had to my dad. It takes time but also keeps a connection to him alive.