View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 AM

First, a response to Tim's response to my hypothetical question as to whether or not it makes sense to buy a card for $100 now knowing it may only sell for $30-40 in the future. Maybe I should have said in the "probable near" future, not suggesting that I intend to pass on soon, but meaning that I am close to selling most of my collection. Knowing that, I do not think I would get much enjoyment with a card over the short term.
Second, the initial purpose of this thread was to brainstorm how we are thinking about divesting our collections ourselves or what steps we are taking to assist our families. Personally, I plan to start selling off my collection soon, and hopefully it will help to pay for one year of a granddaughter's college education. I will sell the most valuable first, and I will eventually keep maybe 50-100 cards to pass on to our sons, not necessarily based only on value, but based on memories. I also plan to scan and print out as many cards as possible so that one day I can enjoy looking at binders of paper copies of my cards and not worry about their value. I also agree with the comment about sorting out one's collection and getting rid of less valuable (or worthless) cards. All will help the family in the long run.
Good thread.