View Single Post
Old 08-13-2023, 06:28 AM
rgpete

[QUOTE=todeen;2363630]I suppose others have collections no one will care about after they die (everyone will care about baseball cards). For me, it's Ray Boynton. He is a distant relative who taught at UC Berkeley. He is rather obscure. I wrote my MA thesis about him, so he also helped me get a pay raise. When his art rarely pops up online I try to buy it. That occurred for me again last week.

A gentlemen listed one for $2200 which was an exorbitant price. Maybe for an oil, but not for a pastel. I told him I would make a standing offer of XYZ. We communicated and he accepted my offer.

This will be my second pastel that comes from a major collection. Boynton has a large permanent collection of ballet works held at Berkeley. This one, however, must have been sold in a show prior to the college acquiring their lot. It traveled all the way to Middlesex, England. There it was framed and eventually made its way back to the USA, and I obtained it from a man in Kansas.

If you live in the Bay area, he is best known for co-leading the Coit Tower murals. When the community thought the murals were all going to be communist propaganda, he became a de facto face on the project that the community respected. He helped save the project from being destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I researched him, his work is well known. Its nice that you are able to acquire his work being a distant relative of yours. Hopefully you can acquire more to add to your collection