View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM

The sad thing with these authenticators is it is not just the high dollar stuff, is the lower stuff as well. I bought a signed football card lot from a well known auction house, awhile back and the lot had been ok'd by one of the "respected" authenticators.

When I got the lot and started looking through it it took me no more than two minutes to realize it was LITTERED with bad signatures. For example, there were autographs of Charlie Joiner and Harry Carson where it literally looked like a child was just playing around and writing their name.

They looked like whoever did it wasn't even trying to copy those players signatures they were that bad. I am used to getting a small % of bad signatures in autograph lots like this but this was closer to 40 or 50% and that was just the ones I knew for sure.

I will say this, this lot was so littered with forgeries that the only conclusion is the authenticator didn't actually look at the lot or they passed them without caring because the auction house is paying them.

The auction house allowed me to return them for a refund but I wonder if they held that authentication company accountable for that, especially since they still use said authenticator. Does the auction house just not care because they are getting their cut?

These forgeries were so obvious that if they didn't confront the authenticator, I would tend to believe they don't care as long as they get their cut, which is really sad.