View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 08:26 PM
Sean McGinty

Japanese cards are legendary for some bad photography. These are from my collection.

1. 1988 Calbee Bill Gullickson. Calbee didn't have photos of all the players for their set for some reason and, being on a tight deadline, they solved this problem by literally pointing a camera at a TV during a game broadcast and taking pictures of the players that way. Its fun to spot which cards in the set fall into this category as they are easily identifiable by the blurry images like Gullickson's.

2. 1977 Calbee #17. This card features the Giants celebrating after winning the pennant. They cropped the photo so that most of the heads of the two players in the middle are cut completely off. Those two players? Sadaharu Oh (all time home run leader) and Isao Harimoto (all time hit leader). What did they crop their heads off to accomodate? More of the backs of the photographers on the bottom. This card is interesting because only on badly off-centred ones you can actually see Oh and Harimoto's faces.

3. 1975 NST Shigeo Nagashima. I just love how they cut the tip of his nose off in that unnecessarily zoomed in photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Gullickson baseball card.jpg (98.4 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg 77 Calbee giants baseball card japan.jpg (73.6 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg Shigeo Nagashima baseball card.jpg (178.3 KB, 721 views)