View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 12:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Ok - hear me out. I'm a M101-2 collector and I don't think what Beckett did is all that bad. These were issued with a fold down the middle. When they're graded, the fold doesn't detract from the grade, just like with a T201 or T202. Because of their size, they're almost always stored folded in half. I have all four double-size team supplements, and they've always been shipped to me folded in half. I store them folded in half in clear 8.5x11" pocket pages so I can see both sides.

So it just seems that Beckett did what most collectors probably do when they store these. It seems to be intact; it's not like they separated it into two pieces or something like that. I know you can't see the back, which is problematic for a potential buyer. But people also occasionally slab T201s folded over if there is a higher-caliber player shown on the fold, and TPGs will slab them folded and you can't see the entire card that way. So how is this different?

With the massive runup in M101-2 prices now that PSA has started slabbing them and people are competing for the registry, I've often wondered how the registry "collectors" are going to handle the double-size team supplements. I guess if you only care about the registry, you'd consider the set complete at 96, rather than 100. I figured PSA just wouldn't be able to grade the double-size ones, but maybe they'll start grading and slabbing them like this to allow the registry set to be complete at 100?

I think slabbing M101-2s is ridiculous, but if you're going to do it, I don't have a big problem with folding over the double-size team supplements like Beckett did here.
But as long as it resides in this comical slab, you can NEVER view the piece in its entirety. What a shame, as this violates the whole purpose of the piece's existence. If you are a flip collector, I guess it's great. But if you are a collector of memorabilia, it's an abomination.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos