View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
How did Cain overachieve? He's had an era under 2.90 and a whip under 1.09 for 3 out of the past 4 years. He has much better winning percentage this year for the simple reason that they're scoring more runs for him. Those first few post Bonds offensives were pretty anemic.

He also had 3 starts and pitched 20 and 1/3 innings during the 2010 playoffs without giving up a single earned run.
Maybe it's just me, but I am unbiased when it comes to any player...I just don't see elite when I see Cain pitch.

He had his best overall year this year...therefore I believe he overachieved. Maybe he's going to be better from this year moving forward, but he was never great, but more of a good pitcher. You can say what you want about wins and losses and run support, but Felix never gets run support and he's considered elite. Until this year, no one would really think of comparing Cain with Felix...I still don't. Cain was more of a 6 inning, 5-7 strikeout kinda guy until this year. He has career numbers of 85-78 in the win loss column...run support or not, the Giants haven't been a bad team since he's been there. He's never deserved to be a #1 guy until this year....hence the overachieve label.

Edited to add: Anthony, I just noticed you're from San Francisco...your post makes a lot more sense now. And good luck to the Giants...should be a great series.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 10-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.