View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 PM
John Donovan

Default My first Ruth! (let's see yours)

Ever since I got in to vintage card collecting a few years ago, I've been wanting to add an authentic Ruth from his playing days. I felt like my card collection wouldn't be complete without at least one card of the Babe. The problem is that my card budget doesn't really allow me to purchase $1000+ baseball cards.

So after researching "bargain Ruth" options (Sanella, Kashin, Fro Joy), I was thrilled to recently find this well loved 1935 Goudey for a reasonable price.

And since my FAVORITE Ruth card is the 1933 Goudey 181 (green Ruth) it's a nice bonus that this card uses the same image.

Maybe someday I'll save up enough for the 1933, but until then, I'm perfectly happy with this one. I mean it's a Goudey gum card of the Babe! No doubt loved by whatever kid pulled it from a pack in 1935 and tacked it to his bulletin board, wall, bed post, whatever (yeah, it has tack hole right in the middle of the card, but since it's a 4 in 1, it's still technically on the border, right )

Yeah, it's pretty beat up....but it's real, and it's awesome. Instantly one of my favorite cards in my collection.

So let's see pictures and hear the story of your first authentic Ruth card. Are they nice looking investments, beat up "collector grade" like this one, or something in between?

Ruth.JPG