View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
People love to talk about technology. Has anyone here seen a machine, computer, device, whatever, reliably authenticate and grade a card? Until that happens, with due respect, it just feels like feel-good talk to me.
Tools that measure size, thickness, etc. are of course in existence. Other methods to determine foreign substances also exist. Think of what's been done in the areas of crime scene forensics.

And more advancements will be developed. You may have missed the first part of my quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
It might be some years from now, but I believe eventually there will be a tool one will be able to pass over a surface (like a baseball card) and the tool will be able to perform carbon dating without damaging the card at all. So if there is anything modern on a vintage card besides a human fingerprint, someday it should be detectable.
So, can I go to Walmart today and buy a card grading/alteration detection machine? No. Does technology exist to catch a lot of trimming, pressing, and other stuff? Yes. Will detection methods continually improve over time? Again, yes.

Peter, what alternative do you propose? Sticking with table after table of people looking at cards, ignoring technological tools that could be of great assistance?