View Single Post
Old 01-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Question about the BL460's appearing on e-bay

Posted By: runscott

...but since I have bought a bunch of cards from James and have been more than satisfied with all deals (before and after the BL 460's) I feel like I should at least say that, since his name is being brought up here. I examined the heck out of the BL 460's and have no doubt they're real and most likely not tampered with - but I'm never 100% sure that an EX or better t206 hasn't been trimmed. Take the Gretzky Wagner - one of the most closely eye-balled scans on the planet - there is still not agreement as to whether the size is right or whether or not it has been trimmed. Also, I haven't yet returned a t206 for trimming, but if I did it would definitely be BEFORE I submitted it for grading, unless a previous arrangement had been made with the seller. And I'll probably send the BL 460 O'Leary in to SGC and if it comes back 'trimmed', which I doubt, too bad for me - I like it anyway. Now if a card came back 'fake', that's a different story!

Regarding the number of BL 460's that showed up at one time - I think that's easy to explain. If I had a great-grandfather that was a Broadleaf smoker, and he passed his cards down the descendent chain, I would expect ALL of his cards to have Broadleaf backs. In fact, James also auctioned several BL 350's - I bet they all were purchased by the same smoker originally. Maybe the guy switched from Piedmonts in late 1910 or early 1911, and that explains the 460 backs. I bought some Sweet Caporal cards the other day and every single one of them was cut so short that the name showed partially on the top, and they were all in exactly the same condition - my guess is that the original owner bought a bunch of packs at the same time and got cards that had been cut from the same sheet - not to much of an imagination stretch I don't think. Anyway, the t206's are great because the variations give us so much to conjecture about.