View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default 1968 Topps Rak Packs

I was 9 years old. I remember my first pack was a 1968 Topps Rak Pack purchased at the Woolworth's. (Oh, the smell of grilled cheese sandwiches when you walked into the Woolworth's!) I don't remember the players, but did pick through the Packs on the hanger for the best pack. I went back several times to buy more and did. I thought that's how you bought baseball cards, in Rak Packs. It wasn't until I was at a different department store weeks later when I bought a 3rd Series wax pack with the game card insert. I thought that was so cool, AND you got a stick of gum!

20 years later, I visited the Baseball Hall-of-Fame and was somewhat disappointed to see a Woolworth's stuck right next to the sacred HOF building. I went inside to see if I could buy some baseball cards like the old days and wouldn't you know it, the smell of grilled cheese sandwiches greeted my nose at the door! I didn't find any new packs to buy, but someone had a display case of vintage cards in the back and I bought a nice 1952 Topps Minnie Minoso rookie instead.