View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM
d.ean

I attended the show on Saturday and again today. As fellow posters have stated in the past, CSA is more of an autograph show then a vintage material show. I have seen far more vintage material at the Philly show than I ever have at CSA. The vintage material I inquired about seemed to be priced high. A psa 7 - 1958 Mantle for twice book?

That said, the show might have been the best run show that I have ever attended. I arrived around noon on Saturday and there was no line to get in and the autograph ticket line was short.

CSA had reconfigured the floor show a little so it took a minute to get my bearings. The plan was to get Dwier Brown, hit the tables, get Cepeda, more tables and then Fred Lynn. Well, the forward area was not in its usual space. I asked a dealer as to where the forward area might reside and he did not have a clue. I found the forward area. Frankly, I think this configuration worked much better. Dwier Brown could not have been a nicer guy. If he is ever signing at a show, mall, library or car dealership near you, GO, he was just awesome. Cepeda is clearly showing his age, but gave a decent signature. Fred Lynn was great as well. It is the first time that I have witnessed where the guest stood for most of the time. I am surprised that Lynn is not in politics. It was good to see the non-hofers sell well. Hopefully CSA will continue to bring in non-hofers at a decent price point.

The autograph area was ran smoothly. The PA system was spot on, I could hear every announcement clearly which kept me milling about the dealer tables as opposed to standing near the autograph chute. This time I even heard the announcement for the door prizes! Sadly, just like my powerball tickets, I did not win a door prize. The large white board with current ticket numbers for all guests was handy.

Today, attendance seemed to be much lighter. Some dealers had packed up on Saturday and by 2 pm most dealers were heading for the exits. I got Glavine and Ovechkin. Glavine was great, Ovechkin was more of a signing machine.

P.S. A fellow collector asked if I could take a picture of him and Glavine with his mobile phone and I obliged, asking if he could take a picture of my two boys and a neighborhood friend. The collector was supposed to email the picture to me. I have not received the picture. I am sure he just got my address wrong. I should have had him text the picture to me right then, but I was trying to get out of the way of other collectors. Anyway, I doubt that he is on this board, but if he is, please reach out.

Last edited by Huck; 10-16-2016 at 06:47 PM.