View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 01:09 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I'm too much into the cards from the '50's , '60's , and early '70's to even begin to understand or justify prices for " current " rookies.

As a side note, I wonder how many who have said the '52 Mantle is overvalued are actual owners of the card?

And if you presently own the card, do you believe the card is in fact, overvalued?

I don't own a "52 Mantle, nor will I ever be able to afford one. But like it or not, this IS the definitive card in card collecting.

Rarity and scarcity does not always translate to big dollars. While other cards are more difficult to find, the '52 Mantle is iconic and THE card to own.

I'll never forget a post I read form a longtime member that read ( in part ), " The only people who feel Mantles are overvalued are people who don't own one ".
This quote "The only people who feel Mantles are overvalued are people who don't own one" ignores a few logical follow up questions.

a) Are the people that own and think it isn't over-valued the ones hyping the value?
b) Is the reason people that don't own it continue not to own it because they feel it is over valued and have other cards they would rather spend their money on?

I don't own a 51 Bowman Mantle and believe it is under-valued in comparison to his second year card with several design flaws that was double printed.

I would not call it the "definitive" card in card collecting. It is the definitive card in card investing.
Yet there is no "definitive" card in collecting because collecting varies by people. There are collectors that don't collect Topps or any card made since their inception. Also, though I have heard of HOF rookie collections, I have never heard of a 2nd year HOF collection.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 07-01-2016 at 11:20 AM.