View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default Fourth June Pick Ups Thread

Posted By: Joann

How cool is this??? Just got it from someone that reads the board but does not post that was kind enough to email me about it. Thank you Dave.

It's cabinet thickness and about 4-1/4 x 7.

Front(BTW, this is not "Al P Gibbs" - he is pictured on the back):

Back. I have to say I thought long and hard about how to post this. I altered it before posting. The two black boxes are not on the actual card. I added them to cover two swastikas, which appear in the same reddish color as the rest. I know the symbol was benign at the time used on this card, but didn't want to offend anyone by posting a card with them.

I am thinking Star Bloomer team, based on unusual uniform (looks older than 1911 when Western Bloomers founded), star logo, and Star in team name. Still, the Bloomer teams usually had Bloomer in the team name and were referred to as girls, not ladies, so I'm not sure. I'm not sure I've ever seen a double-breasted uniform. Anyone care to hazard a guess on the date?

Also, whatever is on the reverse appears to have been pasted on and not part of the original card. The bottom is jagged and hand cut, while the other three borders are machine cut. It's very thin. Maybe from a circular or program or magazine? Whatever it is, I think someone clearly added it because the player on the front is also pictured in the team photo and they wanted both images on one card.

J