View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I'm still waiting for Beanie Baby prices to rebound.
That comment made me laugh out loud.

Everything is cyclical and don't forget it is just cardboard. Would the bottom falling out of the card market even make the front page of the local paper or a leading story on a 24 hour news channel? I think not. Card collecting is a niche thing. Yes, there are deep pocket types who want to own the best card, nicest car, biggest house etc. It remains to be seen if there are enough newbies to the hobby to sustain current price levels. Fact is, like Bill Murray said in "Meatballs" - "It just doesn't matter. I just doesn't matter."

I am enjoying the discourse. One thing missing from the discussion (or I missed it) is having enjoyed playing the game. Soccer, lacrosse, cup stacking, hockey (ice time was scarce in Hawaii) were not options during my childhood. But baseball was a constant. Around 9-10 years of age trading cards at school was popular.

I want to believe that the majority of collector's out there enjoyed playing the game or have some emotional tie (went to games with a family member etc.) to the game. How many of you out there never played the game, woke up one day and said "I am going to start collecting baseball cards"? Quite a few folks on the board have lamented the fact that their offspring have zero interest in maintaining the collection. My two boys enjoy attending card shows, but it isn't a given that they will continue the collection I have amassed.

I have never looked at the hobby as an investment. I just enjoy collecting. I have the collecting bug.

(The Graduate - Updated)

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Bitcoin.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in bitcoin. Think about it. Will you think about it?

Last edited by Huck; 02-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.