View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Er...Babe Ruth hit his last home run 83 years ago and most little kids don't know who he is either. They also line up for movies today and ask movie stars for autographs. Not sure how this is relevant.

My point was simply that Ruth and Chaplin as cultural figures are about equalyy recognizable to the general public today. Most people have probably never seen a Chaplin film (or a Ruth home run of course) but could tell you who he is if you showed them a picture. So its odd that cards of one are worth a ton while those of the other aren't. There are a lot of reasons which we all know why that is the case of course, but they all really boil down to the simple fact that American kids grew accustomed to trading baseball cards rather than movie cards. As American kids (and future adults) no longer have that association, this distinction will likely be less and less important. 200 years from now somebody interested in 20th century antiques probably isn't going to value baseball cards per se as highly as we do above other stuff.
I disagree. Don’t know Babe Ruth? Maybe in Tibet. Maybe in Japan, wait they have Sudaroo to compare to Babe Ruth. OK just Tibet.

My wife knows who Babe Ruth is. Why? For the same reason why my son will know who Babe Ruth is because I will tell him.