View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Boston Doves Team Mystery Postcard

Picked up this really cool RPPC of what I believe to be the Boston Doves. I've identified some of the players on the team and noted what their ages would have been in 1908 which is when these guys were together on the Boston Doves (precursor to Boston Braves).

The weird thing is the uniforms. The block letter O's on the uniform is nothing I've seen before. Also, some of the guys have different hats. The guy I think is George Browne (maybe not) has what looks like a Sacramento Solons hat on. And the guy to the right of Dahlen has what looks like a different letter on his jersey.

I read a newspaper account that had them playing a Kentucky team (barnstorming?) in July of 1907. I dunno.

I have representative photos and have an idea on most of the other members on the team as well.

Bowerman was the guy that tipped me off on this. I show his picture from Baseball reference in this post. He last played with the Boston Doves in 1909. And Kelley was out of Boston by 1909. So, I thought this seemed like 1908.

Last edited by Jaybird; 05-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.