View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLeaguer View Post
Probably because somebody out there realized that with a little practice he could sign like Marquard. Given a stack of 3x5's I bet I could knock out a fair Joe Wood auto after a little practice. Why anyone would want a signed 3x5 index card is beyond me. If you are doing a fake signature on a vintage baseball or card, you better be damn good or you could ruin an expensive item (it's ruined anyway with a fake auto but you know what I mean). Index cards don't cost a thing so you can sign hundreds of them at little or no cost and then just pick out the best one to sell. I dunno, if you know it's real (witnessed the signing) then cool, but it just seems like those index cards are ideal for a forger and I would never buy one.
TexasLeaguer,
IMHO, it's important to note that signed 3 x 5 index cards and GPC's (Government Postcards) were the gold standard of autograph collecting hobby for over half of a century. To ignore collecting vintage signatures in this medium, and for that matter, signed cuts is a mistake. That being said, the greatest bit of advice on collecting autographs that I can offer you is to take the time to really study what you aspire to collect before spending your hard earned money.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-31-2011 at 05:36 PM.