View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default The 19th Century: Is it available for $100 or less???

Posted By: Jason L

Hello to the All-Knowing Board,
My first several months here have been an amazing learning experience. Trying to digest all of this information on vintage collecting has been like trying to drink through a firehouse, but I have welcomed and enjoyed the challenge...it has been a hoot. So, thanks to all for providing such a great resource for separating me from all of my disposable income!

...and to those who have seen some of my posts, you will recall/recognize that I am interested in the Cubs (aka the Chicago Nationals, and fka the Chicago Colts and Chicago Orphans and Chicago White Stockings-the 1890s were a turbulent time for the Chicago baseball scene).

So I now divulge my new interest in 19th Century Cubs cards. I've never disavowed my ties to collecting the 1950s-1980s, -and I haven't even STARTED on the 1930s-40s! Nevertheless, now, while I am a third of the way into my T206 Cubs, I am finding myself being pulled back into the 19th century. Well, that's just great. Focused collecting was among my primary New Year's resolutions, and that is now out the window in early February as I respectfully ask the Board for its collective advice on this one question:

If I wanted to acquire (hypothetically, mind you, as this is not an offer to buy...that will go over on the BST once I am ready) a card or two of the Chicago Nationals players from the 19th century, can it be done for $100 or less, each, in Good-VG condition, with a nice image?
If so, what set should I look to?

(My first assumptions are the N172 commons, based upon my perusal of the SCD and this BST)
But I welcome any and all opinions on this, and if a respectable card can't be had for less than $100, please feel free to throw tomatoes and correct my expectations accordingly!)

I do now realize that was more than one question, so I apologize...I'm not too good with numbers...

I probably could have shortened this request, but then where's the fun? I didn't get to attend the NYC dinner and save the world...I had to resign myself to sitting in a cold and drafty Wendy's in Connecticut, teaching a secret handshake to a disinterested fry cook who had come out to mop the floors after a baked potato incident at the next table...