View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 06:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's been a long time, but since most of us have a lot of time to waste while we await the end of the world, I thought I'd bump this thread to show a pickup I'm exceptionally psyched about -- a high grade, 'fat' 1962 Topps #117 Gary Geiger green tint card (the main star of this old thread)...

1962geiger117PSA9pd2.jpg

Here's the cool stuff for people who like POP chat:

Talk about a tough one to find. Yowza!!! There are only 4 straight PSA 9 cards in the pop report, and just one additional (this one) with a qualifier. Usually with GT's, that low number would be simply due to PSA not differentiating between GT's and regular cards for quite a long time (in other words, many GT's are unknowingly mixed in with the regular card totals). Also, you can add the fact that a large number of cards were labeled wrongly by the graders (I have personally pointed out tons of those cards over the years). But here's where it gets weird. There is only one regular Gary Geiger with a straight PSA 9 grade, and none with qualifiers, so the usual rules don't apply here. There have been no PSA 10's of either the regular or GT cards, so the highest graded #117s are PSA 9, and the total number between the two variations is only SIX (one regular and five GT's, including the PD here). That's a low POP!!!!!

At the moment, I only see one PSA 8 GT available on ebay (at $350), and one PSA 9 (at $498 or BO). I wonder if Mr. Geiger ever knew what a pain in the butt he would become to collectors.

On a side note...three of the five straight PSA 8 cards shown in the 'auction prices realized' site all have a very similar (perhaps a touch less significant) swath of extraneous ink in the same upper right area as mine (the reason for the PD designation)...

-5849962664527955340.jpg

1590265407426167603.jpg

-7056627124941024451.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 03-19-2020 at 02:42 AM.