View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Need genuine evaluation(s) from U-in the know

Posted By: botn

since I come from a family that has too many to even count.

I agree that the cards should initially be sent back to SGC, which is what I had suggested to Brian last night. However, I do not agree that PSA's case is any stronger if SGC grades them the same grades as PSA has assigned in their current holders.

We have all been the benefactors of cards that are between grades, which ended up in the higher holder. There can be very little difference in the physical appearance of a high end VG-EX and a low end EX. Grading is subjective and as such the outcome can have mixed results each time a particular card is graded.

I have never been a huge fan of the crossover service through any of the grading companies. I think that once a grader sees a card in a particular holder it CAN bias his judgment in making a complete and accurate assessment. I have had numerous experiences to confirm this and it is not until I send the cards in, raw, that I was successful in achieving the crossover results or even getting bumps in grades.

Brian could get the cards back, break them out of their holders and resubmit them raw to SGC but that has other problems associated with it even though they are remote. 1) Cards could sustain actual damage while breaking them out. 2) A claim can be made by PSA that the cards were damaged enough while in Brian's possession justifying their current grades. 3) Cards may not grade. Again, these are remote but possible outcomes.

Brian has every right to have the cards back in holders with the original assigned grades. If the cards were slightly over graded or completely over graded he did not give his authorization to have another grading company make that adjustment. If the cards were over graded it is between Brian, and in this case, SGC or if the cards were for sale, the person who is buying them.

Greg