View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Right, but he didn't exceed RC limits in 2016 either. So Topps couldn't consider that 2016 card his rookie. Not until he exceeded RC status for the season are they allowed to use the "RC" logo.

I see your point, but this is just the answer as I understand it not my opinion. Some collectors, myself included, will include any card that was put out in conjunction with other major leaguers within a set (as opposed to a set that was only MiLB and prospects). That just isn't the technically defined status as determined by MLB and Topps.
I don't understand it. In early 2017 when his first cards of the year came out how would anyone know he would exceed rookie card status in 2017, he could have played 5 games and got hurt, in which case he still would have been a rookie in 2018. Ex ante, a 2016 card after he was called up is the same as a 2017 -- at the time it's printed and either receives a designation or doesn't, you can't know what his numbers are going to be for the year.

The problem as I see it with your analysis is that you are using hindsight but a card has to be either designated or not at the time it's printed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.