View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Default Lakers Shirt Evaluations

I have received some questions about the grade we assigned the Wilt Chamberlain shirt. As always, I am always glad to share my process for which I applied to render an opinion. It is always my hopes that after my opinion has been published and the methodology and references are supplied that you agree with my findings. If not, that is okay too, but you will always know how and why MEARS rendered an opinion.

Per the original post, I believe the following questions were asked:

1) top of Laker logo should be close to neckline (see pic)

2) bottom of L in Laker logo should have little to almost no spacing in regards to top of number. (see pic)

3) the tackle twill shadow should ALWAYS have indentation in regards to inner number indentation. (see pic and example)

Going in order, I addressed each point:

1) top of Laker logo should be close to neckline (see pic)

Based on the images I used to evaluate the Chamberlain shirt, my research when comparing to available image determined:

Answer 1: The placement of the LAKERS logo varied from high to low in conjunction with the bottom of the neck line. See images.

2) bottom of L in Laker logo should have little to almost no spacing in regards to top of number. (see pic)

Answer 2: Based on my answer to question 1, it would change the placement of the spacing. My images supported more space between the bottom of the word LAKERS and the top of the 13. The poster uses a 1980 magic Johnson photo when examining a early 1970s Lakers shirt, and in my opinion, the variation between the Chamberlain and the Magic is justified via photographic evidence.

3) the tackle twill shadow should ALWAYS have indentation in regards to inner number indentation. (see pic and example)

Answer 3: The indentation is often present, but these numbers were hand cut. With Magic, Wilt, and Jabbar ordering and using more shirts that their teammates, it is reasonable to assume more variations of the numbering when hand cut could occur. The Magic shirt shows no indentication, and the third Chamberlain shows either no indentation or a very little one. (see graphic Wilt Chamberlain Front Comparison, last image)

What I know about Lakers shirts and hope I have illustrated here are there are many variations with respect to LAKERS placement and numbering style/placement.

At the end of the day the original poster may not agree with my final conclusion and that is right. It is my hope that readers were able to follow the MEARS process and see how we came to the conclusion we did.

This post is also in response to the Magic Johnson shirt currently being offered by Heritage Auctions and hope that the provided image of Magic without the indentations in the numbering supports that opinion also.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen – Memorabilia Evaluations and Research Services

(414) 828 -9990, troy@mearsonline.com

wilt front response 1-1.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wilt front response-1.jpg (69.4 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg magic 32 font.jpg (65.4 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by MEARSAUCTIONS; 02-15-2016 at 06:39 PM.