Thread: Depressing
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I bought up every Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor card I could find. Some were as much as a whopping $20. If those guys were coming into the league today, their 1/1 autos would sell for multiple thousands off the bat. Imagine what a 1/1 canseco rookie auto would sell for today if he had come into the league in 2015 and had those dominant seasons he had. And think of the drop on that card once Canseco lost his mojo. They can't all be Mike Trout...that's why he's special. I don't collect new stuff, but some members on the board whom I respect do. They are educated guys who enjoy rooting on the players whose cards they own. There is fun in that, and that's what collecting is all about. Any way you look at it, it's good that people come into the hobby and follow baseball.
+1 again, pretty much. Only it's not yet certain that even Mike Trout can continue to be Mike Trout. The home stretch isn't even in sight yet. The time to buy him, if he continues on his obvious very strong HOF path, will be in his mid-thirties' downslide, when the speculative and transient demand has vanished, and the newest latest and greatest phenom has come along. A PSA 8 NNOF Frank Thomas could have been had for approximately $500-$600 circa 2008 or so.

Highest regards, Orly,

Larry