Thread: Lessons learned
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Dan Ski

Thanks guys, I'm not sure if I'm answering everybody's question or not so I if I missed any please PM me.

The 4 column box was full of nothing but hall of famers, primarily from the 50's and 60's but some 70's scattered througout. I was initially incorrect, I did not have a 1958 base Mickey Mantle.
1958 Mantle AS EX+/NM
1959 Mantle EX+/NM
1960 Mantle EX/EX+
1961 Mantle VG+/EX
1962 Mantle AS Slight paper loss right corner, chipping left side F/G
1963 Mantle VG
1964 Mantle EX+
1965 Mantle EX+
1966 Mantle EX+
1967 Mantle EX+
1968 Mantle Topps Game NM
1969 Mantle VG
League Leader Cards, etc, - can't remember (had a lot), I know I had at least three 1965 league leaders in there, all in EX or better condition..........

I tried to be picky and spent more for quality than quantity (after I initially started buying junk lots for the first few years) on most of my cards. There were approximately 20 different Willie Mays, primarily 60's, all in VG+ or better condition, also had 68 topps game and 69 deckle in there.

There were approximately 30-40 different Hank Aaron cards, primarily 60's but there were 10 or so 70's in there. Couple dupes of his '72 cards which are easily obtained when they're lesser condition. Also had 68 topps game and 69 deckle card in there and 70 booklet

Two Yogi Berra (1961/1964) that I can remember.

Around 15 Roberto Clemente Cards, all in EX or better condition.

Around 15 or so Ernie Banks cards, all in EX or better condition.

There were approximately 10 Stan Musial Cards (1959 on up), 1961 had crease, all others EX or better condition.

1 Campanella (1961 - creased)

1 Monte Irvin (1954) - VG/VG+

1 George Kell (1957) - EX+

I remember a Maris '66 G

4 Koufax - 1966 (VG) and league leaders cards for '66/'67 (EX+/NM)

1 Feller (I think 1955 Bowman, haven't gone through boxes I still have yet, he may be in there) - EX

1955 Hal Newhouser Mint

3 Ted Williams '70, '71 and one of the fleer cards from the 60's

1961 Rizzuto 1961 Crease down Middle top to bottom

I could go on and on, there were approximately 30-50 or more of every other Hall of Famer I'm listing here in alphabetical order:
Ashburn, Aparicio, Brock, Bunning, Carew, Carlton, Cepeda, Eckersley, Fisk, Ford, Gibson, Hunter, Jackson, Kaline, Killebrew, Lemon, Mathew (bunch of his 70's manager cards), Marichal, Niekro, Palmer, Brooks/Frank Robinson cards, Ryan, Rose (I know, not HOF but should be), Roberts, Slaughter, 5 or so Sniders, Spahn, Seaver, Wilhelm, Williams.

There may have been a couple minor stars in there but not many, the entire 4column box was jammed with hall of famers, all 4 columns.

As I said, I am a private individual, the only people that have been to my house are people I go to church with and family. There was no evidence of break in. We went to our neighbors house on SuperBowl night and left our front door unlocked. My daughter came home after she ate and my wife and I stayed (I was drinking brewskis and having a good time). We all were gone approximately 2 hours (right across the street). My daughter said she heard footsteps and our dog did a small bark a week earlier around 4:00 a.m. Our doors are always locked so we didn't believe her. It had to have happened one of those two nights but it could've been another time. I have a lot of boxes of junk, somehow they picked the most expensive box. Sounds to me they were in the house awhile to be able to do that. Nothing else was stolen. I have a son but he works second shift and I know he didn't do it.

All my real expensive cards left (T206, T205, etc.) are now off my premises and in a safe place. I'm glad I had them elsewhere in my house. I initially got so upset that I took a lot of my memorabilia that I had to Hunt Auctions and it'll be in the May-June auction so bid high lol

You know, I'm 6'2 and weigh 230 and am military trained, somebody has a big set of you know what. All the kids in my old neighborhood before I relocated back to PA called me Superman. This is another reason I think the individual did not know, just got lucky.

I read several posts concerning offering cards, you are a bunch of great guys. If you want to send me cards please PM me and I'll provide you my address.

Many years of happiness in those cards gone.

Thanks for the support.
Dan

Last edited by danski496; 04-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.