Thread: January Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 PM

Smile

Congratulations Chris / BESTDJ777 on the acquisition of a 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle. The heart of Mick's picture is flawless on your card. I'm sure you are already overwhelmed to have this highly prized Mantle.

As for authenticating the piece, I would encourage you to do so. I guess I was the first one to approach SGC about grading a 1960 Post. It was at the 2008 National at Chicago. Their head rep deliberated for a while, because he just wasn't sure it could fit in their over-sized holder. I told them to give it a try. It was an excellent decision. The Mantle JUST FIT. They did a first class job.

From my point of view, and in the context of what TPG constitutes as importance in our hobby, not to mention future potential value, it was the best way to go. There's been discussions regarding our cards as works of art. And so they are! As I'm sure you well know, any significant work of art, by necessity and propriety, requires a frame befitting it. Encapsulated in the elegant SGC holder not only did wonders for the card, in the end my framed 1960 Post Cereal Grape Nuts Flakes Mickey Mantle looks breathtaking.

A bit of friendly advice. Get some good eyeglass lens paper to GENTLY clean off your Mantle. During the previous 54 years, some dust might be nestled on it. ALWAYS rub from the inside of the card to off the card, to obviously avoid disturbing one of the four side edges. A can of compress air used to clean computers might be best to use first on the card.

Wishing you the best, and again, a hearty congratulations, my fellow collecting warrior. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-26-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Thunk up another idea.