View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Ron Rice

Default T206 sets

I've played with collecting T206's ever since my 1st card show in 1971 in Troy, Michigan. At that show I bought a Ty Cobb T206 in good condition for 40 cents and 2 decent commons for 25 cents each. 3 T206's, and change back from a dollar bill! I was only 11, but couldn't believe how cheap the old cards were, considering their age. I started studying the history of the game, and learning the players. My brothers and I eagerly awaited the annual card show in Troy, Michigan which had awesome selections of old cards during the 1970's. We saved our money for months to be able to spend maybe $25-$35 at those early shows. In those days there was no slabbing of cards. In fact, nobody had invented card sleeves yet. You just picked up the raw cards!

In the 1980's, I sold my post-war cards and re-invested in pre-war. I put together a set of 520 T206's. None were professionally graded. In the 1990's I started having some PSA graded, and eventually completed a T206 registry set of 520. I have at least 50 duplicates I haven't gotten around to putting up for sale yet. It's been a fun and rewarding process for me, and I certainly recommend it.

Ron R.