View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default counterfeit azo postcards?

Posted By: fkw

Its not easy to fake a real photo postcard. I wonder how the catelog knew for fact they were fakes??? Let alone knew for a fact what years a certain style AZO back is found. The info on how long and what years the AZO backs were used is obviously from used postcards (postmark, and stamp removed to see style stampbox). AZO used the same design for many years. The triangle 2up-2down is know for at least a 20 year window (1910-1930). Every AZO postcard Ive seen has been stamped (not printed) on back, even nonsport subjects.

On top of that, the Ruth AZO cards are fairly scarce, I see the "3 bat" pose like the one at the top of this thread about once a year (and I have an eBay "search" just for them) I would think they would be a bit more common if they were fakes.

BTW there are now 4 different Ruth AZO cards Ive seen (just saw pictures of another example). Ive also seen a Yankee Team Picture AZO postcard (I believe the 1927 Yankees), thats was consistant with the others.

I have owned white backs, and tan back AZO cards and the quality and paper stock were the same. They are sometimes found cut at slightly different sizes though.

Here is a scan of the 3 different type of real photo Ruth cards I have at the moment.