View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Thank you Rhys.

The fact that the Okkonen Mathewson photo above may be a stock photo means that Mathewson wore a dark hat and dark socks some point before - either 1900 or early 1901.

Our popular uniform resources need updating to reflect pictures we have of Giants playing with dark hats and socks in 1900, 1901, and perhaps 1902 at home as an alternate home. Where is the Net 54 research intern, Leon? (We should really do this)

I have a feeling the Bucknell Polo Grounds photo is from spring 1901 or spring 1902, before the opening, northern spring training. I believe the hat Mathewson is wearing is a Giants hat. the fact that the hat is being worn in a practice, or practice game, in northern spring training may explain wearing an away cap, if it is indeed an away cap.

and the picture being from before the season in 1901 would explain the ads not matching up during the 1901 season. otherwise I am 100% certain it is 1900 or 1902. unless it is a special Bucknell visit to the Polo Grounds in 1899, I do not have the ads for 1899 either -but we have no evidence of such a 99 visit occuring.

The tunnel pictured behind Mathewson is replaced with seats, in addition to other structural changes in stadium configuration, after the 1903 season, see Graig's earlier posting. and the ads do not match up in 1903 at the beginning or end of the season, and do not match up during 1901. will continue to keep an eye out for ads from 99-02.

I received the photo today. Hard to let go. it is so clear. and I love that Im Ready signal - iconic of a quiet leader.

My family were Giants fans then, they may have been there watching, on that vast muddy grass field with the horses forming the out of play line in the outfield.