View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM

I think you're both exactly right. That's also why I was surprised to find out it's worth more to people with individual names cut out. The history might not pass on in a sale but it's a great piece. From 1942, right before these guys left for military—10 HoF that were playing/managing at the time. To me, that is where all the value is. It's something for me to admire, but it'd have to be someone buying the history as much as the individual autographs within.

It was a lot of fun for me to identify all the names in the book. I feel accomplished IDing every signature in the book with help from boards, getting even a traveling secretary. The hardest to ID, I think we finally have, as an International League player, that showed up once for Philly ST, never played in MLB, and then went to war. Figuring it out had all the worth than the autograph, of course.

Looking at Baseball Gauge All-1942 Team
I have basically all of the best (NL) players of 1942. I suppose it's more "wow" to me than anyone else. And that it's immediately before the war.

I'm still admiring the March 1942 Stan Musial, before his rookie season, and that he tracked down the rookie and had him sign a clean page. Also before Stan changed his signature, probably for quicker signing. Again, something very intriguing to me, but collectors have seen it all and aren't interested in the story.

Also Hans Lobert who played since 1903, true deadball. He hit his first HR in 1907. He came back in 1942 to manage the Phillies, finished 42-109 and never managed again. Cool to me, probably worthless to any "buyer."

Last edited by muggsy; 11-07-2017 at 11:38 AM.