View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I saw it too and bid, but once I knew his reserve was high, I backed off the third time around and it appears he sold it off ebay to someone. The second group is good to 1922-23 no doubt, the team photo is tough. It looks ok, but I have only seen one other and it was a re-strike from the 1930's. This is why PSA with photos (or any service) is a fantastic resource, but is only an opinion as to exact age with these types of photos. Henry has given some pretty good leeway with obviously old images (especially on photographers like Conlon and Burke) as long as the photo paper and style are correct to the age (which he should) so my guess is we see that photo with full PSA authentication soon back up for sale on a bigger venue.
Rhys -

Is the 1930's restrike team photo the one where there is an asterisk under Gehrig's name as well as a date somewhere on the photo? The team photo on eBay just didn't look "vintage" enough to me. The other one looks good, but it scared me because the other Gehrig photo by the same seller didn't appear to be period.

Also, how do you know it (the team photo, I presume) was eventually sold outside of eBay? I was certainly surprised to see such a high reserve. I was wondering if he was bidding it up with another account to see how high someone was willing to go (hidden reserve).

I might have gone higher if I "knew" it was a type I photo. For full disclosure, I did not bid on either due to the red flags. Perhaps we will see it again as you mentioned (w/ authentication).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 02-03-2017 at 12:10 PM.