View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is a wrap up from the promoter (me) of the 2017 Net54baseball Banquet at the National. I felt the event went great. A good time seemed to be had by all. The sponsors always have to be thanked first. So Thanks to Heritage Auctions (hi Chris, Derek, Peter, Nick and everyone else) for being our Platinum Sponsor again. It is appreciated very much each and every time. HA is also a valued advertiser on our board. Thanks also to Al *(hey Al) and Love of the Game Auctions, who was not only a valuable sponsor but a featured speaker too. You are one of the best, Al. Thanks for all you do !!

I would like to thank the speakers too. Brian Drent (hey Brian), from Mile High Card Company, gave a great speech about how, what, why and where of one of, if not THE, best unopened find of cards in the history of our hobby (so far). Many of which will be coming to auction soon. MHCC is a valued advertiser on our forum too.

Al C. (hey Al), of Love of the Game Auctions, told of the Lena Blackburne "Lena Blackburne's Baseball Rubbing Mud" story. Blackburne made an unusual and valuable contribution to baseball when he discovered a special use for the clay from the Delaware River to take the shine off of baseballs before each game. It is still used today and the exact location on the river is still a secret, according to Al!! LOTG is a valued advertiser on our board too.

And last, but probably near the top for me, is the special thanks offered to the Chicago Office of the FBI. They allowed their Special Agent, Brian B., to speak and answer some very good and important questions. I honestly don't think most people realize how lucky we are to have an agency, and specifically someone that gets our hobby, and who is accommodating to almost any reasonable request, taking a look at our hobby. It definitely helps to keep it a lot safer for all of us.

*We were able to raise $812 for Dog/Animal Rescue(s) in North Texas with the 5% Net54baseball matching funds. And that included a $50 donation from a board member who couldn't attend but wanted to help the doggies. I received a few other donations from folks that couldn't attend (hey Micheal at REA) and all of them are appreciated. My guess is that we save quite a few pets lives with this money. I couldn't be happier about that.

And lastly, but never ever the least, thanks to all of the members who came to the event. You helped make it a nice and memorable night. And another thanks to those few who couldn't make it but RSVP'd AND were courteous enough to let me know they couldn't be there as intended. Till next time.....happy collecting!!
I did not attend, but congratulations on a successful event. If you do this in Cleveland next year, I will probably be there.

Additionally, thank you for sharing the Dog/Animal Rescue(s) part. I copy & pasted that in an email to my fiancee, who is a dog and animal lover, and told her that my hobby helps save dogs and animals. That should get me some brownie points and buy me some more time to collect.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame