Thread: O/T t218
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
the full checklist is known. Series confusion stems from the Hassan 30 reverse found on all 2nd series cards

Series 1 cards have Mecca 30 and 649 backs and Hassan 30/649 backs. HJ Handy does not exist with either Hassan. He was pulled for the Jack Johnson green card mid way through, it appears. The Johnson green violates some rules all other cards follow. There are 3 name errors that were corrected.

Series 2 cards have Mecca 30/649 and Hassan 30/649 with series 2 51-100 notations. They have Tolstoi backs without a series notation as well (Johnson green has no tolstoi). They also ALL come with a Hassan 30 back missing the second series notation. This is true for every card, and that all 2nd series cards have this series 1 back is why the misinformation and confusion over the series has occurred for many years.

3rd series cards have Mecca 30 and 649 backs only with different series name. The 12 track cards have variations in the caption.

The only questions remaining in the checklist are whether the S P Gillis error exists with a Mecca 30 (some say yes, but nobody can produce a scan) and the cloughan error. I have this card, but it is missing on every other checklist and nobody else has reported one.

Thanks for that info! It really reduces the number of cards I thought I needed. I had columns on the spreadsheet for all second series with no series number, and Tolstoi for all three series.

I'm not familiar with the errors and variations, is there a place to see that list?