View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
It's easy to say split the cost but how about this scenario (Not saying this happened with the OP).

How about if someone owns some high end baseball cards and they are extremely careless with them and some of them get stolen. Then someone goes and buys one of these cards which could be 3 years worth of their card budget (Let's say its $30K). They have no knowledge of this card being stolen and now because of a careless seller they have to share the burden of cost.

Maybe legally this is what is supposed to happen but I don't think its fair and just that this unsuspecting buyer should be on the hook for any of this either.

Is there any insurance out there that covers dealers at shows? I know there are a couple of companies out there that do insurance but I would imagine someone offers insurance to people who sell items at shows/conventions etc.

I feel terrible for the OP and I hope he gets his card back. In no way am I implying he was careless, but I am throwing out a scenario that isn't black and white.
Careless or not if something is stolen from you and later identified you have a right to get it back regardless of who owns it now or how it was obtained. I see your point, but it would actually be the guy who the card was stolen from doing the current owner the favor by splitting the cost. All things considered I personally feel that would be the most fair solution in such a situation.

If I had bought this card not knowing it was stolen I would contact the seller and try to work out some kind of arrangement. I would not want to deal with any legal repercussions or damage to by hobby reputation but trying to keep a stolen card or an attempt to get it into a new holder for resale.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 08-13-2018 at 10:40 AM.