View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Ok, maybe I think about this stuff too much, but I really don't understand it all yet.

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I did not know, for example, that a type card collector would prefer a HOFer over a high quality card example for his type card set. Ok, so it is not really a pseudo type card set, but more a collection with dual or multiple objectives - I have that.

But if the player is important, why does anybody collect sets of players who nobody knows? You know these sets. They are called Obak, Zeenuts, t210, and others. I mean not a few examples, but these are big sets! Full of I don't know (he is on third). With only an occasional Joe D., Claxton, Thorpe, etc. Why do these sets have a strong following = what am I missing?

Edited to add:

And worse - Zach shows off his prize for this month - a Contentnea Lathrop, Raleigh of the Eastern Carolina Leagues. Possibly the same Lathrop who finished up his two year career with the White Sox with no batting average and a 1-3 won/loss record. A clearly well loved card! But why would anyone love it today?

No intents offended here. I just don't have the requisite sophistication to fully appreciate the nuances of our hobby.