View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Dan Youngblood
Da,n Young.blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'm only 53 but wanted to cut down the volume of my collection. What I decided to do was get rid of the bulk and replace it with cards I always liked and wanted to own. Not necessarily marquee cards, either. Start with a list of the cards you want. If you don't want to bust up the sets and do the eBay selling, which is where you will net the most, I'd say consign to LOTG. I did with much of my exhibit card sets. Al did very well by my sets. Then buy the cards you really want to own. To wit:

Having a more limited volume of cards is very liberating.
At the age of 35 I realized my collecting habits weren't getting me anywhere. At the time I was not a believer in graded yet (around 2004 or so) and had mountains of "junk wax" all over the place. That's when I decided I needed a real focus and began collecting 1978 Topps in minimum PSA 9 grade. My pockets aren't deep enough to chase older vintage and I had a habit of collecting as many new children as I did cards lol. Anyway, so I purged the mountains of firewood I had and what a thrill it was to chase the best set of my childhood in high grade. So that's what my collection centers on. 1978 Topps. This will never be truly finished as I am slowly upgrading to PSA 10's but it's finished enough to feel a great accomplishment. I can now go after other graded endeavors although it won't be another monster complete set. So, yes it was very liberating to get out from underneath all of that junk (late 80's early 90's) which I had no idea what to do with.

Last edited by toad strangler; 12-08-2018 at 09:38 AM.