Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Guys, you're all the best.

Jason, Mark and jacksons, you rule. Thank you.

Lance, the whole thing about Mantle coming up as an intimidated rookie and all has always been the crux of my fascination with him. I mean, the alcohol and other personal issues really add to the profundity of his story, but I just can't imagine the kind of pressure he must have felt coming to New York. Aside from the fact that he came from a tiny town to the big city at such a young and green age, I just keep coming back to how the media, Casey and the fans must have thought of him in those first few years. Talk about having the weight of the world on your shoulders. It makes me wonder how his career would have been different had he been on another team in a smaller market. Not that I wish for that.

Howard, you're mentioning some giants there. I really appreciate the comparisons, but man, I couldn't wash their brushes.

I still just find myself wondering what was so striking about that Matty portrait. I mean, Conlon's photo was absolute genius, so I feel like all of the accolades need to go to him. But yeah, it seems to be the one painting that everybody gravitates to the most. Not that I'm complaining or anything, as I'm super honored. I guess I just don't see it the same way since my memories of it are filled with toil, torment and frustration.

Weeeeeee!!

Thanks again, everyone.

Graig
Graig,

You already know how I feel about the Mantle and your title is perfect!!! Mickey's pre-season accomplishments in '51 elicited so much praise from the sportwriters, fans (e.g. at USC where he was rushed like a rock star after his two mammoth HRs) and of course Casey whose statements could never be lived up to that Mantle, already overwhelmed with the jump from Joplin to the majors and NYC, was a nervous wreck.

I have always felt that the attached photo taken in June of 1951 and shortly before he was sent down to Kansas City best depicts the pressure he was feeling and deserves the title of "Weight of the World". And yes, I know you can match it with a superb painting!!

Best.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54054.jpg (76.2 KB, 388 views)