View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default Report of the January 25 NYC Hobby Forum

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the nail more on the head with the high grade aspect of it. And....I don't think I've attacked you although I have shown a little too much tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and for that I do apologize.....

I think that the sheer # of people who collect in PSA8-10 is so much less than the overall graded or ungraded population that I think that's why there's less impetus to bring something like that up. Sadly, it's NOT just graded cards where there's a problem. It's memorabilia, photos, and many other areas. While I was not at the meeting, I doubt much was discussed in those areas--primarily because of the attendees.

I know you feel most of the alterations are being done on the mid-grade cards and not on the high grade cards but I just don't feel that's the case. I could be wrong, have been wrong in the past, will be wrong in the future for sure.

I do applaud you for trying though and I think getting guys like Doug and Dave to show up shows that there is some interest in working on some of the problems. Like Leon said though there is such a gray area between what the masses feel is acceptable (soaking, erasing pencil mark, 'laying' corner down) and what even the grading companies will accept. It's when we get into those really black and white issues of trimming, bleaching, stretching and pressing and other areas that most all people agree on that I think we should concentrate 80% of the efforts. Unfortunately, not a lot of people want to run with it. OR....the people who do this as a business do not want to run with it. The collectors ultimately are the people who are and will get hurt in the process.