View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
There are actually four or five separate Goudey Wide Pen sets from 1936 and 1937. They were all listed separately in the Standard Catalog last time I checked. The 1937 set is sometimes called the "creamy" set because it has a distinct creamy tone to the cards. This is the set that includes Feller and Doerr. I know there are experts out there on this group of sets. Hopefully, one of them will chime in with more information.
+1. And you are right on IMHO to be looking for the 1939 R303A Teddy Ballgame. Just how many are out there is a bit tricky--PSA has only graded 7, last time I checked the pop report, but there have been a significant number of sales of raw cards, indicating it is not as rare as the pop count might make it seem. It is clearly not that common, though, and should at least fall into the very scarce category. Insofar as significance, it is a much tougher rookie card of the greatest hitter who ever lived than his '39 Playball, a far better looking card to boot, and therefore a good choice for a significant increase in value over the coming years IMO.

Best of luck in your collecting endeavors,

Larry