View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM
S Gross

As pretty much stated already, people love infamy.

I don't know much about non-sports cards, but I do know the Hitler cards in the Horrors of War set have a heck of a higher demand and price.
Also the good old 1956 Adventure set. Any non-boxing card hardly has any value, the boxers go for $10-20, but throw out a Schmelling (Swastika) and you in the $500 range.

The worst thing that could happen to the value of Jackson cards, would be IF he was inducted in the HOF.

A lot of no-goodness is now baseball legend: From the 1876 Louisville Four to the 1890's Baltimore Orioles (they not only worked the Balt. chop, and the hit and run, but were also famous for cutting across the infield when going from 1st to 3rd), to the Phillies in early 1900's using electric buzzers and Morse code at 3rd base coaching box, Etc. Etc.

A very notable amount of games were fixed, the Black Sox was just an ultimate zenith. Not saying it's right, just that it was (or is).

My favorite answer to cheating allegations was when early 1900 middleweight Philadelphia Jack O'Brien was accused of throwing fights. His response was something like: "Yes, I have thrown many fights in my career. I have fought Bob Fitzsimmon, Marvin Hart, Tommy Burns, Stanley Ketchel, and Jack Johnson. Who do you want to talk about first ??" All charges were dropped !!