View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Patrick N.

Default Shoeless Joe Jackson

Hi everyone, as some of you might know, I'm sorta a novice to pre-war collecting and this era and mostly just know some conventional wisdom... Anyway, I was watching Ken Burns documentary (and I don't want to debate that film per se or Burns himself as I have already asked about that) and to me it seems undisputatble that Joe participated in throwing that series...

So I guess what I'm trying to get at with this thread is that assuming that this version is true (i.e. Joe and others participated in throwing the WS) why in the world would you want to collect his cards/memorablia? It seems to be the ultimate sin to commit this crime of direct cheating and so whatever his overall #'s why would you want to own anything of this guy? Why are his cards such big sellers? I mean atleast Pete Rose (and to some extent Barry Bonds) you could argue were less than moral characters but did not directly throw games...Thus, why is he such a big seller? Seems like he should be the last guy you want to have in your PC. Plz explain...