Thread: I feel sorry...
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.
That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-30-2014 at 01:34 PM.