View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Pat, I'm not sure why it is hard to believe that notoriety or infamy of those breaking rules causes there to be much more interest than there otherwise would be. Some of the most valuable signatures belong to some of the lowest forms of life--John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, etc., etc.

As human beings we are strangely fascinated by those that break rules. I have one of the first few Beckett/Eckes price guides for baseball cards and in it sets like M101-4 where there are most major HOFers present Jackson is priced at about the same as Walter Johnson, and quite a bit less than Ty Cobb. Obviously, now, Jackson will outsell Cobb all day long. This being said, it is not a hard and fast rule that can be applied to everyone--take Gaylord Perry for example-he admittedly broke rules but isn't very well collected today and doubt he will be garnering any major following in the future--so I don't think Barry Bonds and ARod may be as well collected as you might think--there is nothing romantic about injecting steroids in your a**--however, working for a miserly owner that doesn't pay you very well does provide (to some people out there) a bit of justification for what the Black Sox did.

I agree with the poster above that stated the Black Sox are all vastly overrated BUT I can tell you they are quick sellers when you do have one--so the market (the buyers) have determined thay would rather have a Black Sox player than most HOFers within the same set. There are many that like to romanticize these guys as well, refusing to believe they did what they did. Honestly, barring the scandal a Buck Weaver card would sell for about the same as Jacques Fournier--so in the overall scheme of things Infamy has made some fairly common players into larger than life figures.

On a completely unrelated note...I was thinking about the 1919 White Sox the other day and I gotta admit I feel bad for Nemo Leibold -truly the forgotten 1919 White Sox -he was the only guy in the everyday starting lineup that is neither collected as a Black Sox card nor is in the HOF (Collins, Schalk)--too bad Nemo, you should have taken the money, then we'd all know your name!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-09-2010 at 08:57 PM.