View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
The cards were sent by collectors, usually one at a time. The only "cards" the old players handed out were coupons for The Glory of Their Times, and sometimes small black and white photos. Late in his life Snodgrass wrote that he averaged about three thru the mail auto requests per week.

I dont really consider my dupes to be extras -- each one is unique! However, if I have dupes of a signed pose, I do consider trade offers of all kinds. Whenever possible, I try to trade for signed T206s I dont already have.
I know. But Doyle might have had a pile of that particular card, and sent them out when autographs were requested with no card included. We weren't around, so tough to say exactly what any individual player might have done differently from what we think was the norm. Crawford used to hand out HOF postcards. Other players are documented to have ordered piles of their favorite photos from Burke, for signing and mailing out to requestors. Not every autograph hunter mailed a government postcard or T206 to their favorite players.