View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

My $20 calipers will measure to within 5/10,000 ths of an inch. Meaning that the 1/1,000ths can be trusted, so .001 inches. A human hair is usually around .002, and printer paper .003. The measuring time is only a few seconds.
I can't say that PSA or any grading company measures, but they could. Especially if the card is suspect for other reasons, or nice enough to be worth checking. Grade 1-3 no, 4-6 with super nice corners maybe, 7-10 I'd hope so.
There's also software that will make some very close measurements based on a scan, and a scan around 1200 DPI will show loads of detail easier than using a 40X loupe.

I measured a a handful of T206s and all of them are .012
I'm doing a project of doing high res scans of all mine, I'll take measurements of the raw ones while I'm at it.

There is a difference between moderate even pressure like you'd use after soaking and higher force similar to the spooning that could be used to thin/spread the card. In the soaking the card swells with absorbed water and gentle pressure keeps it flat as it dries. Soak the card and use higher force and it will thin and spread. Think pie crust- Set a plate on a lump of it and it might compress a bit. Use a roller and it will make a nice thin crust. (Push real hard or roll more, and you've got Baklavah or french pastry....Yes, I'm a bit hungry for dessert just now)

Steve B