View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default Amazing Autograph Find - Need Help With It Please

Posted By: DJ

If Harry Stovey made the Hall of Fame, those who only collect "good" players (good= Hall of Fame) will suddenly search the world for anything with Stovey's likeness and his n172's will quadruple over night.

We, the board appreciate the accomplishments (and history) of those who came before us and the fact that McShannic played one year of baseball 100+ doesn't impress the casual fan who may considers vintage "1950's" and may not do research on players from the era.

They will pay big dollars for autographs of Harry Agganis and Roger Maris though, but the signatures of most pre-war cards get ignored. I purchased the estate sale of a person who worked in the Pirates organization in the 1900's and found a pack of around 50+ Christmas cards signed by players from that era (Leach, Abstein, Swacina, Leifield etc.) and they didn't exactly set the world on fire in the wrong place, eBay (2002). I did receive dozens of e-mails about Vic Willis, Hans Wagner and Fred Clarke though.

It is a neat item made neater by the further research done by a Board member. I don't think this piece is worth anymore though as most peopleLe would simply look at the Hall Of Famers as McShannic's claim to fame is that he played early and I doubt he received a lot of fan mail for that one season. Who cares. Neat item!

DJ