Thread: January Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Default Ewell Blackwell nearly duplicates Vander Meer's record back-to-back no-hitter feat

Quick trivia question:

Who came the closest to duplicating Johnny Vander Meer's record feat of throwing two back-to-back no-hitters?

My post title gives it away, but it was Johnny's Reds teammate Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell in 1947. But, the coincidental circumstances surrounding it were absolutely bizarre:

On June 17th, 1947 Blackwell no-hit the Boston Braves 6-0. Johnny Vander Meer also no-hit the Boston Braves for his 1st no-hitter on June 11th, 1938. Vander Meer witnessed Blackwell's no-hitter from the bench that night.

On June 22nd, 1947 Blackwell took the mound in game 1 of a double header against the Brooklyn Dodgers. Vander Meer also no-hit the Brooklyn Dodgers to complete his record setting double no-hitter in 1938. Blackwell took his 2nd consecutive no-hitter into the 9th inning. Vandy was actually perched on the top step of the Reds dugout ready to congratulate his friend and teammate for duplicating his record. Blackwell retired the first batter he faced before excruciatingly surrendering a hit (a single) to Eddie Stanky in the 9th inning.

The parallels are interesting and eerie. So close! After more than 76 years, no one has even duplicated the feat.

For a number of years I have owned a ticket to Blackwell's near brush with history. I was able to finally find the ultimate companion piece, a scored program to Blackwell's game on 6/22/47. It's really in great shape (NMT). Check it out...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-26-2015 at 04:10 PM.